Friday, December 25

Noche Buena 2009

For us Filipinos, Noche Buena simply means Christmas Eve dinner.

Ever since I got here in Canada, my family and I would spend the 24th of December prepping up some dish to be brought at my aunt's place for the evening get together. As for myself and my boyfriend, we would always think of baking something for both our families. We've made cookies and crinkles in the past 2 years. This year, we made carrot and chocolate cupcakes during the day.



At around 7pm, we hear mass and after an extended version of the priest's homily, we'd go straight to my aunt's place to have our Noche Buena.




This year, we had the usual plans except for the fact that one of my uncles and his daughters (my cousins) are back home in the Philippines, spending the holidays there. That's one less family celebrating the holidays with us here in Winnipeg. Also, the whole night we were Skype-ing with our relatives back home since it was also my grandfather's wake.



Last night was the perfect representation of my family doing the same traditions, but done in a different way. I even opted to wear something different from my usual 'festive' outfits during the holiday season. I still wore something dressy but chose to wear black to remember my grandfather who passed away a few days ago.


Amidst the sadness, we were still able to jump a bit into the festive mood, especially with my oh-so-giddy nephew handing out gifts and opening his presents. Also, have I mentioned how crazy my cousins are?! hahaha..


Plus, I was quite ecstatic with the stuff I got this year. Simple things, but ones that I can really use for the coming year! H&M tunics, Shower/Body Gels (part of my wishlist), gift cards, mascara, cozy pjs & socks. Yay for Christmas presents!


Over-all, today was quite a day. Emotional? Yes. Happy? Yes. I'm just content that I was able to spend it with my family and loved ones. From my family to yours, we wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. aww! the cupcake looks SO delicious! i'm so glad you are having a good christmas despite your loss (: stay strong dear! happy shopping! :D

    ReplyDelete

comment and come back next post. you might be comment of the day!

i'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails